Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Back To School

Well, the summer is officially over.  It was back to school for me today!  My morning started early, but not too early.  I really wasn't feeling a 5:00am wake-up call for the gym since we got in late last night from our Labor Day weekend getaway.

I made sure my school bag was all packed.  Isn't this a cute bag?  It was a bridesmaids gift from my friend, Katie.



My first class, Foodservice Systems, was at 8:30am.  It was great to see my school friends again!  Luckily, we have the same schedules, so we'll be suffering learning together all semester long!

Had a little break in the grad student lounge.  It's the first day, and things already seem crazy.  I found out in my first class that I have not one, but two internships this semester.  I previously only knew that I would have to do one of them.  In my first class, I told my professor that I had Thursday or Friday mornings available to do the internship for her class.  Then my work schedule was emailed to me after class.  Mind you, ALL summer, I have not worked Thursday mornings.  And what do I get on my schedule "from here on out"? Working Thursday mornings.  Oy vey.  My approach is to take this all one day at a time.  


My second class, Introduction to Nutrition Practice, was good.  The professor seems really nice and interesting.  She specializes in pediatric nutrition which I'm definitely interested in learning more about, so that is exciting!






So, since my day had some good points (seeing friends and getting back into the swing of things) and stressful points (internship craziness and work schedule nonsense), here's an appropriate recipe that I made for dinner tonight.




Sweet & Sour Chicken with Vegetables


Inredients:

  • 6 small skinless boneless chicken breasts
  • 2 cans of cubed pineapple
  • 1 bag sugar snap peas
  • 2 heads of broccoli, chopped
  • 1/2 cup cashews
  • gyoza sauce (or some kind of sweet & sour stir fry sauce)
  • 1/2 cup scallions
  • brown rice cooked in pineapple juice

Directions:
1) Cook brown rice according to instructions, substituting pineapple juice for some of the water.
2) Spray skillet with cooking spray and heat to medium.
3) Cut chicken into small pieces and add to skillet.  Add about a 1/2 cup of gyoza sauce and cook until no longer pink in the center.
4) Add snap peas, broccoli, pineapple, scallions, and cashews.  Cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
5) Serve over brown rice.










One more sweet to end the day: flowers from a cute boy!




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...